Tuesday, March 10, 2009

And then the World Opened up for Her, and she Smiled.

wow.

I did it. I made it.

It has been a very long time since my last post, but luckily, a lot has happened since then.

I was accepted to the Masters of Social Work program at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, Michigan for Fall 2009. I honestly never even played with the idea that I would be accepted- U of Michigan is the best school in the USA for MSW. And I was accepted.

Needless to say, I am pumped. I am reenergized and extremely excited. I was losing my lustre there for a while- my 'joie de vivre'. Working day in, day out in a boring job just to save money for a future you are unsure you have is.... difficult. But now I see that it was all worth it. I can get through the days pretty easily now, being able to see the finish line and knowing that I am heading into a career of something I really want to be doing! *relieved exhalation*

I'm not sure if I will end up going to U of M, as I am still waiting on Laurier to see if I got in there. If I get in to both programs I'll really have a tough decision to make. Stay close to home in one of the best Canadian MSW programs (and pay less $ to do so), or go to Michigan for one of the best American MSW programs (and pay more $ to do so)- but also have a real independent experience of living away from home on my own. Definitely something I'll have to think over.

The next big news is that I am planning a trip to go backpacking in Europe in late May- early June. Evan will be there for his graduate research and I am going to meet him there at the end of his research. For two weeks we are going to travel a small loop around Western Europe and try to see as much as possible in the small amount of time, on a budget. We're going from Munich, Germany to Geneva, Switzerland to Venice, Italy to Rome, Italy to Paris, France and then finally back to Munich, Germany. At least, that is the plan for now. We were planning a bigger loop including London, England, but that got cut because of the limited time we have. We may have to cut one more place- I'm hoping it won't be Paris (although that would make the most sense, distance-wise). I also really want to see Rome. I can't wait!

The last piece of news is that my house in Guelph is up for sale. We're hoping to sell by end of April and then beginning of May I will be living in Oakville again!! It has been a long time since I've lived in Oakville.... two summers ago, I believe. I'm really excited to be able to see friends on a more consistent basis (Krystal, Victoria, Miguel, Mike Yip, Lisa, Meg, etc.) and it'll also be nice to always have a fully stocked fridge without having to buy all the food for it! And not to have to pay rent. I'm hoping to continue working for Dynamic Therapy Solutions (where I work now) either part-time (Monday-Wednesday or something) and commute on those days, or possibly work from home. I'd love to be able to work from home! I don't think my boss is going to go for that, though. I can dream though, right?!

Oh- and my sister Jenny is in Australia right now! Wow, so much is going on all at once! She flew in to Sydney a few weeks ago and stayed there for a while. Since then she went to the Outback for a camping trip and then flew to Queensland. She was staying at Airlie beach and did a sailing tour of the Whitsunday islands for 2 days and then they got back to Airlie and got word of the cyclone that is now sweeping the east coast. She and her travel buddy Kate caught a 14 hour bus to get to their next destination- the mainland near Fraser Island. She and Kate were booked for a tour of Fraser Island but it was either going to be cancelled because of the cyclone, or she was anticipating that it would be pouring rain the entire time! My heart goes out to her right now. I really hope that the damn cyclone passes and lets them have a great rest of their trip! They're flying back end of March and arrive April 1st (April Fools Day!). I think they actually get to experience April Fools Day twice because of the time difference! I really can't wait for her to get back... I miss her a ton. She's not only my sister but one of my best friends in the world.

Well, that is my news as of late! I'll try to write more often from now on!

Also thanks to Cris Seaton who reminded me to write on this thing, and who keeps a very up-to-date blog himself.

<3

Christie

No comments: